Cross-selling is a simple way of increasing sales: when visitors to your shop view a product, they are also shown other items that are related to it. These can be complementary or alternative products specified by you.
With individual cross-selling you can assign your own cross-selling products to each individual product in your shop.
Types of cross-selling products
Accessories are usually products that are useful or indeed necessary in order to use the main product. By defining sensible accessories for your products, you can prevent potential frustration for the customer: there's nothing worse than buying a new television, only to find when you unpack it that a vital cable is missing.
Example of an accessory: If a customer is interested in buying a torch in your shop you can have the required batteries displayed as accessories.
As the name suggests, these products are a sensible complement for the item itself.
Example: If you are selling brown shoes, you can offer a brown belt as a related product.
Alternative items are a particularly interesting type of cross-selling. Here you are not speculating that the customer will purchase additional articles over and above the actual product. Instead, here you present products to the customer that he or she should purchase instead. Logically, it follows that here you can only offer products that you would prefer to sell in place of the one the customer actually chose. Since alternative products are often more expensive than the original product, this marketing method is also called up-selling. Alternative items do not necessarily have to be more expensive however – you can advertise items with a higher profit margin or products that you want to sell as quickly as possible.
How to specify products for cross-selling?
1. In the administration area in the main menu, select Products then View products.
2. The table shows an overview of all products in your online shop. Select the product number of the product you want to edit.
3. Select Cross-selling.
4. The table displays the products that are currently set as cross-selling items for this product. Select Assign products.
5. In the left-hand column, select the products that you wish to assign as cross-selling items.
6. Under Assign products reciprocally select whether the main product, for which you have just defined cross-selling products, should also be displayed as a cross-selling item for these products.
7. Select Apply.
8. Under Advanced options, you can enter a Headline for the cross-selling area. This is shown above all cross-selling areas in the shop.
9. Save the changes.