Import of product images
Any imports are carried out at your own risk. If you import a defective file, you could potentially destroy the data of your shop.
You can find further information on importing, exporting and editing exported data in the article Import and export of data – overview.
You can import product images to your shop. This has the following advantages:
- When you would like to add a bigger amount of products to your shop, you do not have to upload the images separately.
- When you would like to add products from another shop of this shop system, you can import the images easily.
How to import product images
In this text we explain the following steps to you:
Step 1: Collect all of your product images and create a ZIP file out of them.
Step 2: Edit a product import file and add the names of the images.
Step 3: Import the ZIP file and the product import file.
Step 4: Check if the images were assigned correctly.
Step 1: Collecting product images
With a ZIP file several images can be bundled into one file. This steps works differently for Windows or Mac computers.
1. Gather all of the images you would like to import in one folder on your computer.
2. Select all images.
3. Select one of the images with a right mouse click, select Send to and then Compressed (zipped) folder.
4. If you want to, you can enter a name for the ZIP file. The name does not play a role for the import.
The ZIP file has been created on your computer. You can find it in the same folder.
1. In the Mac finder select the images you would like to import.
2. Right click on them and select Compress X Items. X is the number of items you selected.
The ZIP file has been created on your computer. You can find it in the same directory.
Step 2: Add file names to the product import file
For the next step you need an import file with products. You can export it from your current shop or from another shop of the same shop system. You can find more information on this in the article Exporting data. For the export, you have to select under More options the semi-colon as the Separator. When you are editing the import file please note the instructions from the article Editing exported data.
1. Open the CSV file containing the products with software like Calc (OpenOffice).
2. In the column Image for magnified view enter the file name of the image from the ZIP file that should be used as main image of the product in question - e.g. product-image-1.jpg. In the column Images for gallery/slideshow enter the file names of images that should be used as further images for this product, separated with a comma. An example: product-image-2.jpg, product-image-3.jpg, product-image-4.jpg,
3. Save the changes.
Step 3: Importing the ZIP file and the product import file
1. In your shop's administration area in the main menu select Settings and then Export and import.
2. Select Import.
3. Under Data import select the option Products.
4. Select the button Select file besides CSV import file. Select the product file from your computer.
5. Select the button Select file besides Image archive (.ZIP file format). Select the ZIP file from your computer.
6. Under More options choose the settings that you chose during the export of the product file.
7. Select Import.
At the top of the page there's a message letting you know if the import was successful. If it wasn't successful, please consider the information from the article Editing exported data.
Step 4: Checking the product images
Visit your shop and have a look at the product pages of the products you just uploaded images for. Check if the images were assigned correctly.